Animal Control

  • What should I do if I get an animal bite?

    Bite reports are investigated by the Galena Animal Control Officer. To report an animal bite, please call (620) 783-5065. Reported animals are confined for a rabies observation period by the Galena Police Department / Joplin Human society. For information concerning confinement, please call the Joplin Humane Society at (417) 623-3642. If there is no answer, please call (620) 783-5065.

  • When should I Contact Animal Control?

    Animal control provides assistance for nuisance animal complaints, and stray animal pick-up, quarantines animals involved in bites to monitor rabies, and provides for control of animal abuse. Call the Galena Police Department at (620) 783-5065.

  • What are the city ordnances’ regarding dogs?

    The city requires dogs, when outdoors, to be kept in a fenced yard or leashed. Annual rabies shots and permits / tags are also required. For information, call (620) 783-5065.

  • How do I obtain a city Tag for my dog?

    To get a tag for your pet you will need to bring a copy of their current vaccinations to the City Offices and pay an annual fee. If you have questions you can call (620) 783-5265.

Reporting to Police

  • Where can I report an abandoned vehicle?

    To report abandoned vehicles on public streets and/or on private property that are a public nuisance, call the Galena Police Department at (620) 783-5065.

  • How do I report a traffic accident or violation?

    To report a traffic accident or obtain an official accident report, please call the Galena Police Department at (620) 783-5065. To get information on the status of a traffic violation, please call the Galena Municipal Court at (620) 783-2474

  • How do I get a police report?

    Reports can be requested the Police Department 210 Turner Dr., Monday through Friday 9:00 to 4:00. They are $5.00 per report.

  • How do I get an accident report?

    Accident and reports can be requested the Police Department 210 Turner Dr., Monday through Friday 9:00 to 4:00. They are $5.00 per report.

  • How soon can I get my accident or incident report?

    An Officer has 10 days from the time of the accident to complete the report. Generally, an accident or incident report is ready two to three business days after the accident/incident has occurred. Sometimes this process may be delayed due to the seriousness of the accident/incident or if the report is still under supervisor review.

  • How do I report a crime?

    You can report a crime by either coming into the Police Department in person or calling (620) 783-5065. An Officer will be assigned and if necessary a report can be filed when the officer contacts you. Take note that this may require some wait time on your part, depending on how soon an officer can get to you.

  • What happens after my report is filed?

    A report must first be completed by a patrol officer. The report is then approved by a patrol supervisor. Depending on the seriousness of the crime, this process could take a couple of days. However, if it is a violent crime, a follow-up by a detective will be made sooner. All other cases, such as property crimes, are assigned and will be followed-up depending on the solvability of the case. Factors that influence the solvability of a case are suspect information, physical evidence, etc.


  • How can I contact emergency services?

    For police, fire or paramedic emergency services in times of emergency within the City of Galena and/or Cherokee County, call 9-1 -1.

  • When are 911 calls appropriate?

    For any in-progress crime, serious accident, emergency, or medical emergency, call 911. For other past-tense crimes, minor accidents, or non-emergencies, call the police department’s non-emergency line at (620) 783-5065. Do not call 911 to ask for directions, complain about an officer, inquire about the status of a case, ask for an officer, or any other non-emergency issue.

Traffic & Motor Vehicle

  • What do I do if I am in an accident?

    If you are in a non-injury accident with minimal damage, pull off the roadway and call the police department at (620) 783-5065. While you are waiting for an officer to arrive, if other drivers are involved, exchange information with them. Have your insurance card and driver’s license available for the officer. If you are in an injury accident, call 911 immediately and wait for officers to arrive.

  • Child Safety Seats - At what age does my child have to be in a booster seat?

    Kansas law, K.S.A. 8-1344 requires the following:

    • A child under the age of four years must be in an appropriate child safety restraining system.
    • A child four years of age, but under the age of eight years AND who weighs less than 80 pounds OR is less than 4 foot 9 inches in height, must ride in an approved child passenger safety restraining system.
    • A child eight years of age but under the age of fourteen OR who weighs more than 80 pounds OR is more than 4 foot 9 inches in height must wear a seat belt.
  • Even though I live in Kansas, can I register my vehicle in another state?

    No. If you live in Kansas, your vehicles must be registered by the State of Kansas. You can obtain your Kansas License Plate and Registration from the Cherokee County Treasurer’s Office, after having a Vehicle Identification Number inspection by a law enforcement agency. The Treasurer’s Office is located in the Cherokee County Courthouse, at 110 West Maple Street, Columbus, and may be reached at 620-429-3848.

  • Kansas License Tag - If I live in KS, but have property in another state, do I have to have KS tags?

    Yes. Kansas Law and the Kansas Attorney General’s Office have reviewed this issue. If you reside in Kansas, regardless of whether or not you own property in another state, you must obtain Kansas Registration for your vehicle(s).

  • Vehicle Inspections - How do I get my vehicle inspected?

    The Galena Police Department conducts Vehicle Identification Number Inspections Monday through Friday from 09:00a.m. To 4:00 p.m. You will need to bring the vehicle, title, driver’s license, and the $10.00 fee. Vehicles with Salvage Titles must be inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol. They are at the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday’s from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. to conduct these inspections.


  • How do I compliment an officer?

    If you would like to compliment an officer, you can either stop the Police Department at 211 W Turner Drive or Call (620) 783-5065.

  • How do I file a complaint?

    If you would like to file a complaint on an officer, you may stop the Police Department at 211 W Turner Drive Monday through Friday 09:00am – 4:00pm to fill out a complaint form in person.

  • When can I come to the police department to get fingerprinted?

    You can come to the Police Department’s at 211 Turner Drive Monday – Friday between the hours of 08:30am 3:30pm to get fingerprinted.

  • Welfare Checks - Will the Police Department check on the personal welfare of people in their homes?

    The Police Department frequently receives requests from individuals to check the well being of another person. These generally occurs when people are unable to reach a family member or close friend within the city and are concerned about the personal health and welfare of that person. We will generally dispatch an officer to the address provided by the caller to see if contact can be made with the person in question.

    If contact is made and if deemed appropriate and necessary, the Officer will conduct a brief, cursory and informal investigation to determine the physical and/or mental health and well being of the person, without violating his or her privacy rights. The Officer or dispatcher will then re-contact the caller to provide information on what was learned.

    Another frequent request is one from a parent for an officer to check on the “welfare” of minor children in the permanent or temporary custody of the other parent. The Police Department will generally agree to make one (1) such welfare check on the children, provided the parent making the request can provide specific reasons based on facts that the welfare of the minor children is somehow being jeopardized. One parent will NOT use us, as a tool to harass or intimidate the other parent because of a custody issue or dispute that remains unresolved by the courts.

Protection from Abuse

  • Protection Orders - What are they and how do I obtain one?

    A Protection From Abuse Order (PFA) is a court action intended to bring about an end of the abuse towards you and/or your children. To qualify for a Protection From Abuse Order, you and the person you want restrained must be intimate partners or household members, meaning you must:

    • Be residing together, OR
    • Have formerly resided together, OR
    • Be the parent of or living with a child who has suffered abuse by the party you are attempting to restrain, OR
    • Have a child in common, OR
    • Be in or have been in a dating relationship, AND
    • The person has intentionally attempted to cause you or a child bodily injury, or intentionally or recklessly caused bodily injury, OR
    • The person has intentionally placed, by physical threat, you or a child, in fear of imminent bodily injury, OR
    • The person has engaged in certain sexual conduct with a child less than 16 years of age who is not the spouse of the offender.

    How to Apply for a Protection From Abuse Order

    You may call 1-800-723-6953 to contact the Legal Services of Southeast Kansas. This is the organization that assists residents in Cherokee County in obtaining a PFA.

    Forms for obtaining a PFA order may also be found on-line at

  • What can happen with a PFA Order?

    When you receive a Protection Order, the court is empowered to order any or all of the following:

    • Restraining the defendant from abusing, molesting or interfering with the privacy or rights of the plaintiff or of any minor children of the parties.
    • Granting possession of the residence or household to the plaintiff, to the exclusion of the defendant.
    • Requiring the defendant to provide suitable, alternate housing for the plaintiff and any minor children of the parties.
    • Awarding custody and establishing a parenting plan with regard to minor children.
    • Ordering a law enforcement officer to evict the defendant from the residence or household.
    • Ordering support payments by the party for the support of a party’s minor child or a party’s spouse.
    • Awarding costs and attorney fees to either party.
    • Making provision for the possession of personal property of the parties and ordering a law enforcement officer to assist in securing possession of that property, if necessary.
    • Requiring the person against whom the order is issued to seek counseling to aid in the cessation of abuse.
    • Restraining the defendant from cancelling utility service to resident for 60 days.
    • Ordering or retraining any other acts necessary to promote the safety of the plaintiff and the minor children.

    What you should Know

    • You may request that the PFA order be in effect for up to one year.
    • You may file only two PFA petitions within a 12-month period.
    • Your PFA order is not enforceable until it has been served on the defendant by authorized personnel.
    • If the defendant violates the order before it is served, you can still call the police. The police will not be able to arrest him for violating the order, but they can still protect you.
    • If the defendant needs to pick up personal property from the home, be prepared to tell the judge when that is convenient for you. The defendant must have a police escort if he needs to come to the home for personal belongings.
    • The defendant can be ordered to pay child or spousal support. Take time before the second hearing to make a list of expenses and how much you will be asking for. You may be asked to complete this information at the time you file your petition if you are asking for support.
    • You can ask for court-ordered counseling for the defendant.
    • If there are children, the Court may require you to file a temporary parenting plan with the petition and/or final order. Be precise about visitation times, location and duration. Avoid vague language such as “reasonable”. If you are requesting no visitation or supervised visitation with the defendant, be prepared to explain to the judge why such an order is necessary. The Court may also ask you to provide information about where the children have been living for the last few months.
    • Your PFA order is enforceable where it is issued and in all other jurisdictions. This includes all 50 states, Indian tribal lands, the District of Columbia, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam.

    The information on this page is a summary of the law. For more information or legal advice, you should seek the assistance of an attorney.


    Advocates may be available to assist you with the filing of your PFA order, accompany you to court and provide information to you and your children. These resources are available by calling the Crises Center of Southeast Kansas at 1-800-794-9148 or (620) 231-8251 or by calling the Kansas Crisis Hotline at 1-888-END-ABUSE

Registered Sex Offender Registry

  • Registered Offenders - How do I find them?

    The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office closely monitors the registration status of offenders required to register with the Sheriff’s Office under the Kansas Offender Registration Act. We will take immediate enforcement action on offenders who refuse or fail to maintain a current and accurate registration status. These offenders may be convicted of certain violent, drug related, or sex crimes.

    Residents may find offenders by clicking on the tab on the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office home page From there you can review a list of offenders in Cherokee County and sign up for email updates. You may register as many physical addresses as you would like, such as schools, parks, or other areas where your children frequent. We will then notify you by email anytime a new offender moves into those areas. In addition, you can also indicate any specific offenders you would like to be notified about should his/her registration status or information change.

  • Registered Offenders - I am required to register as an offender. What do I need to do?

    The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office conducts Offender Registrations Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

    Offenders will need to bring appropriate court documents or those from probation / parole officers, along with current information on home address, work address, vehicle, license plate, etc… In addition, all offenders are required to pay the $20.00 fee every time they register or update their registration.

    The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office closely monitors Registered Offenders to insure they are in compliance. If you fail to comply with your registration compliance, we will seek criminal charges against you.

Criminal Background Checks

The Galena Police Department can provide information deemed public by the Kansas Open Records Act. These records typically include Offense, Arrest and Booking Information. However, the Galena Police Department is prohibited by law to run a criminal history background for you by utilizing the National Crime Information Center. Residents can obtain a more thorough, statewide background check by visiting the Kansas Bureau of Investigation website (